Discovery Education and Wilkes University Announce First Graduates in Master’s Degree Program in Instructional Media
Graduates prepared to incorporate digital media and technology effectively into instruction
March 10, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa. (March 8, 2010) – Wilkes University and Discovery Education congratulate ten educators and instructional media designers from the United States and Canada for having recently graduated from the innovative online master’s degree program in instructional media offered collaboratively by the two organizations.
Launched in June 2008, the 30-credit instructional media program prepares educators to engage today’s students in learning through digital content. Graduates from the program are prepared to effectively blend academic rigor with the latest technology, from videos to Web 2.0 tools to virtual field trips.
The program’s first graduates are:
- Argentina Amores, Hialeah, Fla.
- Laura Cawley, Fort Mill, S.C., graphic design artist, McBride & Bride, LLC
- Kristine Dreaver-Charles, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Credenda Virtual High School
- Colleen Duffy, Dallas, Pa.
- Pamela Ellsesser, Harrisburg, Pa., owner, Komputer Kids, an educational technology consulting company
- Tracie Hightower, Southfield, Mich., owner, Kemet Creative Media, LLC
- Robin Hoffman, Salisbury Md., instructional designer, Salisbury University
- Jeremy May, Clayton, N.C, science teacher, Riverwood Middle School, Johnston County School District
- Tara Lee O’Toole, Limerick, Pa., math teacher, Spring-Ford High School
- Katrina Johnston Schultz, Edinboro, Pa., chemistry teacher, Girard School District
“This master’s in instructional media combines best practices in 21st century teaching with the outstanding expertise and media services from Discovery Education,” said Michael Speziale, dean of the College of Graduate and Professional Studies. “We know our new graduates will have an immediate transformative affect on student understanding and achievement leveraging digital media that engages, inspires and ultimately helps each student live up to their fullest potential.”
“Districts nationwide are investing in digital media and educational technology, significantly increasing the demand for skilled educators who can effectively implement new tools and technologies across the curriculum,” said Scott Kinney, vice president of global outreach and learning initiatives, Discovery Education. “We are very proud of the program’s first graduates and encourage educators nationwide to consider participating in the program to learn new and different ways of incorporating technology in the classroom.”
The instructional media degree program focuses on employing the latest technology and Web resources in the classroom. Courses include digital storytelling, differentiation supported by technology and digital media in the classroom. Course designers include nationally-known education technology leaders, including Kathy Schrock, Joe Brennan, Lance Rougeux, and Steve Dembo.
Discovery Education and Wilkes University have worked together since 2005 to help educators integrate educational technology into classroom curriculum to ultimately improve student academic achievement. For more information about the program and upcoming classes, visit www.discoveryeducation.com/masters.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) revolutionized television with Discovery Channel and is now transforming classrooms through Discovery Education. Powered by the number one nonfiction media company in the world, Discovery Education combines scientifically proven, standards-based digital media and a dynamic user community in order to empower teachers to improve student achievement. Already, more than half of all U.S. schools access Discovery Education digital services. Explore the future of education at www.discoveryeducation.com.
About Wilkes University
Wilkes University is a premier, nonsectarian liberal arts university located in northeastern Pennsylvania. One of the largest private providers of graduate education for teachers in Pennsylvania, Wilkes offers master’s degree programs in education, a doctor of education degree in educational leadership, and four letter of endorsement programs. Learn more at www.wilkes.edu.
Important Dates & Events
Join us on these upcoming dates for an Interactive Webinar to learn about the Instructional Media program. Register now.
- Article by Course Designer Kathy Schrock: 5 Ways to Use Infographics to Visualize Information ...More
- Article by Course Designer Kathy Schrock: Equipping Teachers to Infuse Technology...More
- Article from THE Journal: A Virtual Ticket to Ride...More
- Discovery Education and Wilkes University Announce First Graduates in Master’s Degree Program in Instructional Media ...More
- Article from School CIO: Top Online Degrees Help Teachers Make More Cents...More
- Article from Tech & Learning: School Yourself...More
- Article from THE Journal: Up Close and Virtual...More
- View All