A former kindergarten teacher and school Director of Technology, Discovery Education’s Online Community Manager Steve Dembo is a pioneer in the field of educational social networking. Among the first educators to realize the power of blogging, podcasting, Twitter, and other Web 2.0 technologies to connect educators to one another and create professional learning communities, Dembo has been instrumental in the explosive growth of the Discovery Educator Network and its online presence at http://community.discoveryeducation.com/.
In 2006, Dembo was named one of the Top 100 EduBloggers by the Online Education Database. That same year, the Discovery Educator Network website, which was created and is managed by Dembo, was honored with an Award of Excellence from Technology and Learning magazine. In addition to demonstrating continued innovation in serving Discovery Education’s online community, Dembo continues to be a prolific blogger whose personal blog and companion podcast, Teach42, continues to serve as inspiration for tens of thousands of educators around the world. In 2009 his blog was recognized as one of 20 Must-Read Education Technology blogs by ACE Online Schools and was nominated for Best Individual Blog and Best EdTechSupport Blog at the Edublog Awards.
Dembo is also a dynamic speaker on the capabilities of social networking, the power of educational technologies and Web 2.0 tools, and the ability of digital content to empower teachers to improve student achievement. He has delivered keynote presentations at PETE&C, TRETC, the Maryland K12 Libraries Conference and the Connecting & Learning Conference, and has been a featured speaker at GaETC, MACUL, METC, FETC, and Tech Forum. He has conducted hundreds of virtual presentations and regularly hosts the Discovery Educator Network's EdTechConnect and Discovery Connect monthly webinar series. Dembo also participated in the 2008 Nokia Open Labs as an expert on mobile phone integration in education.
Important Dates & Events
Join us on these upcoming dates for an Interactive Webinar to learn about the Instructional Media program. Register now.
- Article by Course Designer Kathy Schrock: 5 Ways to Use Infographics to Visualize Information ...More
- Article by Course Designer Kathy Schrock: Equipping Teachers to Infuse Technology...More
- Article from THE Journal: A Virtual Ticket to Ride...More
- Discovery Education and Wilkes University Announce First Graduates in Master’s Degree Program in Instructional Media ...More
- Article from School CIO: Top Online Degrees Help Teachers Make More Cents...More
- Article from Tech & Learning: School Yourself...More
- Article from THE Journal: Up Close and Virtual...More
- View All