EDIM 504: Digital Storytelling
Course Designer: Joe Brennan
Course Designer Overview:
This course is designed to make a teacher feel comfortable with the most common and effective types of classroom video creation. In order to give educators the most practical experience possible, they watch and analyze a variety of student created videos on the Internet, read Jason Ohler's Digital Storytelling in the Classroom: New Media Pathways to Literacy, Learning, and Creativity, and use the American Film Institute educator's guide to make weekly videos of their own. The video assignments are designed to empower and give Wilkes' students the confidence to engage their classroom with rich media assignments and encourage their colleagues to do the same. This course will demonstrate how audio, video, and interactive elements can complement and enhance classroom instruction. Students will understand the principles of digital storytelling and how this process can be used in the classroom by developing storyboards and creating rubrics for evaluating digital stories. Various software used for digital storytelling will also be explored.
|Name||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Session I||January 21||March 10|
|Spring Session II||March 11||April 28|
* Not all courses are offered each session. Please view detailed course schedules.
Flip Camera Trailer - Digital Storytelling
In the course EDIM 504 Digital Storytelling, one of the weekly assignments encourages students to look at the stories told in some of the most pervasive genres around: commercials, public service announcements and movie trailers. Students are then asked to adapt one of these formats to topics to what they are teaching their students in their schools. This is a project from Kevin Adams.
To watch this video, you must upgrade your Flash Player to the latest version.
Important Dates & Events
Join us on these upcoming dates for an Interactive Webinar to learn about the Instructional Media program. Register now.
- Article by Course Designer Kathy Schrock: 5 Ways to Use Infographics to Visualize Information ...More
- Article by Course Designer Kathy Schrock: Equipping Teachers to Infuse Technology...More
- Article from THE Journal: A Virtual Ticket to Ride...More
- Discovery Education and Wilkes University Announce First Graduates in Master’s Degree Program in Instructional Media ...More
- Article from School CIO: Top Online Degrees Help Teachers Make More Cents...More
- Article from Tech & Learning: School Yourself...More
- Article from THE Journal: Up Close and Virtual...More
- View All